Bob Phillips, president and chief executive officer of Phillips Industries, recently marked his 50th year associated with the commercial vehicle industry and the company founded by his grandfather in 1928. A luncheon was held in his honor at Phillips’ Santa Fe Springs CA headquarters May 16.
He began his career in 1963 when he joined Phillips Industries (then known as H W Phillips Company) as one of only two employees after a challenging period for the company. In 1968, inspired by customer demands, the company started manufacturing the first pre-assembled light cords. Over the next decades, Phillips Industries evolved from a North American parts distributor to a global manufacturer and supplier of electrical and air brake interface components. The firm has expanded its reach to more than 40 countries.
Bob Phillips has also been active in the commercial vehicle community, serving as past chairman of the Heavy Duty Business Forum of the Motor & Equipment Manufacturers Association. He is an active participant in the Truck Trailer Maunfacturers Association, Society of Automotive Engineers, and the Technology and Maintenance Council.