Nominations for the 18th annual Goodyear North America Highway Hero Award must be received by Oct 15, 2000. They can be made by phoning the Goodyear Highway Hero Hotline at 800-627-2118 between 9 am and 5 pm (EST), Monday through Friday. The nomination form also is available at www.highwayhero.net. An independent company reviews nominations to ensure these criteria are met:
- The nominee must be a full-time truck driver.
- He or she must reside in the United States or Canada.
- The incident must have occurred in the United States or Canada.
- The nominee must have been on the job or on the way to or from work, and in his/her rig at the time of the incident.
- The nominee's truck at the time of the incident must have 14 wheels or more.
- The incident must have occurred between Oct 1, 1999, and Sept 30, 2000, to qualify for this year's program.
After the nomination period is closed, winners will be selected from each state in the United States and each Canadian province. Ultimately, the list will be pared to four finalists. They will appear at the Mid-America Trucking Show in Louisville KY, where one will be selected as winner.